New era of watchmaking chimes at Hamilton & Inches
Scotland’s luxury jewellery house releases new classic wristwatch the Eighty Seven in nod to its 150-year-old horology heritage.
“The name of Hamilton & Inches on clocks, watches, regulators and chronometers, is a guarantee of the highest standard of quality. The movements are made from the finest quality materials, carefully selected and tested, pieced together with that great delicacy and perfect accuracy which are essential to perfect timekeeping and durability of service. Each movement is carefully examined and tested before delivery.” – Hamilton & Inches 1920 watch catalogue
Hamilton & Inches was first granted a Royal Warrant more than 120 years ago, appointed “His Majesty’s Clockmaker and Keeper and Dresser of His Majesty’s Clocks, Watches and Pendulums in Palaces and Houses in his Ancient Kingdom of Scotland.” Though the original title no longer remains, they have held Royal Appointment since and their standard today is Silversmiths and Clock Specialists to her Majesty The Queen. They have been supplier of clocks and watches to royalty and admiralty for generations, including a Chronometer which sunk with HMS Rhododendron in 1918. The oldest pocket watch in the jewellery house’s collection is from 1874, while the oldest wristwatch is an early example of the wristwatch from 1912.
Unveiling the new watch, Hamilton & Inches Chief Executive Stephen Paterson said:
“It gives us great pride to present today a new era in watchmaking at Hamilton & Inches with the Eighty Seven, a wristwatch worthy of our trusted name and heritage. As we celebrated our 150th anniversary last year, our watch technician Ian Malone traced many fascinating and outstanding pocket and occasional strap watches from our archives, inspiring us to retrace our great tradition as watchmakers and create a new timepiece in this classic mould.
“Our timekeeping footprint can be traced across the skyline and streets of the great city of Edinburgh, whether it’s thanks to the beautiful Caledonian Hotel station clock dating back in 1903, with its classic roman numeral dial which inspired our new watch; the folklore of the One o’clock Gun from Edinburgh Castle being set by a regular check of our very own shop windows; or the world-famous Balmoral clock, which we built and installed in 1902. It is this great tradition and affection for watchmaking in Edinburgh which will thrill any recipient of these special timepieces.”